Cross platform development

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Sep 2 15:38:07 BST 2001

On Sonntag, 2. September 2001 14:28, you wrote:
> Dear Ralph,
>
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> >That depends on what you intend to do. Generally, I'd say that if you want
> > to use Qt, then the way to go is currently: develop your stuff in
> > kdevelop, add .pro files to your project that you have to maintain
> > yourself and use tmake to generate the windows Makefile with that so you
> > can compile the windows version with nmake under windows.
>
> OK. Are there plans to support .pro files in KDevelop 2.2?
> Are Gideon and KDevelop 2.2 the same products?
There will be no KDevelop 2.2. There will be a KDevelop 2.0.1 shipping as a
bugfix release for 2.0 together with KDE 2.2.

KDevelop 3.0 is currently codenamed gideon (so is the binary so you can have
2.0 and 3.0 installed at the same time) and will (hopefully) ship with KDE
3.0 next spring. That requires some testing and more work to get it in shape
until then but things are quite active and it just requires this winter from
us to work on this. Though I don't get tired to mention that we *do* need
everyone's help to give it tests and send in fixes to things you don't like
or you thing should be improved.

KDE 3.0 will be based on Qt 3.0, so will be KDevelop 3.0. We're currently in
the intermediate stage where the KDE CVS in HEAD is ported to Qt 3; we do
want to keep a kind of compatibility to KDE 2.2 for the time until the HEAD
branch gets stable enough again so it can be used as a development platform.
We do not expect major API changes in the KDE API except the changes that are
introduced due to Qt 3. I already have kdebase running here with Qt 3, so the
porting is actually a quick and safe thing which doesn't introduce too many
bugs into KDE 3 that it would make it unusable to develop with. We will post
a recommendation on which way to go in probably one to two weeks (depending
on where I am at that time, see my other mail :)

> >If you're not depending on Qt, you could as
> >well use cygnus under windows and the gnutools, so the automake setup is
> >supposed to work there as well, but I can't confirm this to 100%.
>
> We will probably be depending on Qt 3.0.
> I prefer native compilation because it seems more natural than relying on
> Cygwin layer.
> Furthermore KDE will, sooner or later, be ported natively to Windows.
And Qt/Embedded, there is already a good portion of the work done. :)  Maybe
Apple's MacOS X will follow, who knows.

Ralf

> >The best would be to use tmake additionally to your project and compile
> >under VC++ on
> >windows currently; that's how other companies do it right now.
>
> OK.
>
> Best regards,
> Jean-Michel POURE
> pgAdmin Development Team
> http://pgadmin.postgresql.org
>
> -
> kdevelop-request at kdevelop.org with the following body: unsubscribe
> »your-email-address«

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org