Cross platform development

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Sep 2 11:04:28 BST 2001

On Sonntag, 2. September 2001 11:00, you wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to develop the next version of pgAdmin (Windows GUI for
> PostgreSQL) with KDevelop 2.0.
>
> What are the guidelines to develop cross-platform (Windows, Linux)
> projects? Will Gideon include features to ease development of
> cross-platform code?

That depends on what you intend to do. Generally, I'd say that if you want to
use Qt, then the way to go is currently: develop your stuff in kdevelop, add
.pro files to your project that you have to maintain yourself and use tmake
to generate the windows Makefile with that so you can compile the windows
version with nmake under windows. If you're not depending on Qt, you could as
well use cygnus under windows and the gnutools, so the automake setup is
supposed to work there as well, but I can't confirm this to 100%. The best
would be to use tmake additionally to your project and compile under VC++ on
windows currently; that's how other companies do it right now.

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org