Best KDE development tools... help... Borland Kylix?

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Sat May 26 09:26:54 BST 2001

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> Disadvantages of free development tools such as KDevelop are limited
> compatiblity with existing projects/products, availability of trained
> IT-professionals and use of QT libraries is not free in for commerical
> developments.

I would say that Kylix's greatest disadvantage is the incompatibility
with existing projects/products. Its ABI is different from g++, its
component model is incompatible with KDE and GNOME, its look and feel
doesn't integrate with either of them, it even has its own help
browser instead of integrating with the existing HTML browsers.
Furthermore, it has its own compiler and project management. You can
not take a Kylix project and just recompile it on Solaris or even on
LinuxPPC. This is what I would call a typical lock-in environment.

OTOH, the price argument is moot. $199 is a lot less than the price
for a commercial Qt license. Of course, it all also depends on what
you want to do. Qt 3 is a cross-platform library for Windows, any
Unix, Linux (on any architecture), Embedded Linux and Mac OS X.
No other C++ toolkit offers this. If you don't need to target this
many platforms, you have a wider choice of tools. If you don't write
GUI programs at all, the possibilities are even greater.

Bernd.