kdevelop speed drop

Marcus Gruendler runner at tamalin.de
Wed May 16 23:45:32 BST 2001

On Wednesday 16 May 2001 21:27, you wrote:
> Over here I am working on a linux box with an networked home dir on an
> solaris server and I have the same problems. Sometimes it simply hangs.  I
> think it's the automounter implementation combined with network load. We
> have 10Mb/s and BNC, so that happens quite often :-(
> On some machines there are hard mounted directories. Unfortunately there is
> no background option for linux mount implemented so that high network load
> makes the whole KDE freeze for seconds.
>
> Greetings,
> eva

Hi,

I followed the discussion and want to throw in some information from my box.
I don't use NFS at all (though I have a network connected, but only for mail
or HTTP). I can see the slow downs here as well. They are not so dramatic as
someone described before, but you definitely realize them (about half a
second to render a menu).

These slow downs only occur when the editor view is selected. With the help
browser selected there is no slow down at all. I tried to find out which
parts are affected by slow downs. When I start kdevelop on desktop 1 then
switch to desktop 2 and then back to 1, all toolbars, the menu bar and the
status bar are visible immediately, the rest will be displayed about one
second later. Again only when the editor is visible.

I also found out that the slow downs do not always happen. They only seem to
happen when main memory is full and memory is swapped out. Is it possible
that some parts of the KWrite widget get swapped out and causes delays at the
refresh? But repeated desktop switching should be fast after the first
refresh is done, shouldn't it?

I don't see this behaviour whith KWrite itself.

My box is a PII 400 128MB, KDE 2.1.0, KDevelop 1.4, SuSE Linux 7.1

Bye, Marcus

--
Marcus Gruendler
eMail: runner at tamalin.de