kdevelop speed drop

Juergen Suessmaier juergen at suessmaier.de
Wed May 16 07:52:45 BST 2001

Hi,

maybe I can give some more or less useful additional hint - at least how
I am able to create the speed drop problem on a 700 MHz Athlon. The
weird slowdown is very temporary (here) and does not show up unless
Netscape runs multiple downloads.

What I observed:
I start Kdevelop and everything works like it is supposed to. No speed
problems so far. Then I switch to another KDE desktop and start Netscape
on a remote machine (my workstation just gets the display). KDevelop still
works without any problems. Then, when I start parallel downloads with
Netscape, the KDevelop problem arises. When I switch between two editor
tabs (i.e. header->source or vice versa) then it suddenly takes several
seconds (!) until Kdevelop is usable again. This happens only when
some editor file is shown. There's no problem when for example the
help browser is shown. After the weird delay, KDevelop continues its
work in a normal way - until I switch to the next source file. After
Netscape has completed the downloads the problem KDevelop problem is
also gone.

There's no noticable increase in CPU load during this KDevelop "lockup"
and the rest of the system still remains very responsive. I can reproduce
this problem here at any time, so if someone could give me some instructions
on how to collect useful debug information, I'd be glad to assist in
finding the bug.

My current system config:
RedHat 7.0, kernel 2.4.3, latest X (4.0.3), latest KDE (2.1.1), latest
kdelibs (2.1.2).

Best regards,
Juergen

> --- "F at lk Brettschneider" <gigafalk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > A new CPU could help ;-}
> >

> Falk, you have to know, has an 1.2Ghz Athlon box, so Falk doesnt care
> anymore :-)
>
> Roland otoh has a PII300 and Roland does care.
>
> Anyway, I cant see that KDevelop is slow on my Linux box either, yet I
> have noticed some significant problems on Solaris. I've posted some
> values a few weeks ago, havent actually had a chance to work on Linux
> for the last two weeks or so.
>
> Falk, we do need to address this. There are things going on in this
> code, I fear nobody knows about them anymore....
>
> Roland
>

> > Ciao,
> > F at lk

> =====
> --
> Roland Krause
> In the garage of life there are mechanics and
> there are drivers. Mechanics wanted!

J. Süßmaier Systementwicklungen
Jürgen Süßmaier
juergen at suessmaier.de                       Realtime Software Development
Katharina Geisler Str. 14                       Embedded Applications
D-85356 Freising                                     Automation
Germany