rc.cpp - make messages

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Fri Mar 23 18:11:27 GMT 2001

Meinhard Ritscher wrote:

> O.k, I think I found something - see below.
>
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:11:40 +0000 (GMT), Meinhard Ritscher wrote:
> >moving to an XMLGUI, following the tutorial on kdeveloper.kde.org wen't
> >quite smoothly, once I got my head round.
> >But "make messages" fails.
> >
> >All I get is: no rule to make rc.cpp.
> >Fair enough, there *is* no rule.
> >Even if I try to make
> >make messages in kwrite (in kdebase-pre.2.1-update) that's the only
> >thing I get.
> >How to make this rc.cpp or what's the rule for it?
> >

> I now found out that the kdesdk package comes with a script
> "extractrc"
>
> So the Makefile should contain something along the lines:
>
> EXTRACTRC = extractrc
>
> rc.cpp: <appname>ui.rc
>         $(EXTRACTRC)  <appname>ui.rc > rc.cpp
>
> Havn't tried it yet though and I've no idea why the XMLGUI tutorial
> claims changing
> messages:
> messages: rc.cpp
> would be sufficient.
>
> Hope it's helpful to anyone who gets stuck at the same point

Oh, while you're mentioning it :-) I copied over extractrc to the
kdevelop distribution, so it should be installed with any 1.4
installation in the $KDEDIR/bin path. What it's needed for is that it
makes a dummy rc.cpp file out of the appname.rc file containing the XML
code for constructing the menubars/toolbars. Basically it's needed to
get the menuentries that you define there into the po file so they can
get translated.

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org