Using VIM as the text editor in KDevelop

Christian Couder Christian.Couder at fr.alcove.com
Thu Mar 22 08:12:05 GMT 2001

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 07:12:49PM -0800, Roland Krause wrote:
> No, No, No,...
>
> you are obviously not understanding the fundamental principle of KDE.
>
> KDE is an integrated desktop environment. That means that applications
> not only just understand each other somehow but that they are actually
> integrated components for each other.
>
> That is a fundamental difference. Look at the kparts stuff, it makes it
> very clear how things should work together.

I agree. There is already a kvim app in kdenonbeta. The "big dream" is to
make a KTextEditor library interface and make some kvim, kwrite and
kemacs parts that can be used through this interface.

There is also a kwrite-devel mailing list where people are working on
this stuff. They improved the kwrite code and made a component called "kant" the new kwrite will use kant through a probably improved texteditor interface.

When this will be working it will be hopefully possible and quite easy
for KDevelop to use the texteditor interface...

> Besides: Netscape is dead, your choice is IE or IE, so just say "Lets
> forget about that stupid html widget in KDE" that is just like saying
> "Lets forget about Linux and use windows".
>
> I am sorry to sound rude but comments like yours drive me up the wall.
>
> I dislike emacs just as much as you do, I dont like vim either, the
> kwrite guys seem to have given up on kwrite themselves, the kwrite code
> in KDevelop is such a mess that one might want to cry... At the same
> time some people have begun to write kant which started of as MDI
> version of kwrite but is rapidly approaching emacs... again...

Well I don't dislike vim and emacs, but I think it's good for KDE to have
it's own well integrated editor. People interested in this should
subscribe to the kwrite-devel list and if possible help to make the "big
dream" come true.

Bye,
Christan.