how to turn off -fno-exceptions in kdevelop

Juergen Suessmaier juergen at suessmaier.de
Mon Mar 12 22:54:09 GMT 2001

Hi all,

yes, I completely agree to Wayne's opinions. Especially the tons of compiler
features turned _off_ by the default ./configure will -from my point of view-
break several projects. For example exceptions are just a standard (and
very useful) C++ construct and they are used by plenty a lot of C++ developers
as they can make life a lot easier. So the real question is: What do we need
a very powerful and nice IDE for when the underlaying scripts simply ignore
the project settings?

All that weren't that much of a big deal if the current KDevelop 1.4
distribution were some sort of first run beta test. But the problem is
that KDevelop 1.2 along with KDE1 worked _perfectly_ while the current
version introduces _external_ problems that really shouldn't be there.

Honestly, KDevelop is one of the best IDEs I've ever worked with and I
really don't understand why its outstanding quality has to suffer from
a set of external shell scripts... I'd be glad if somebody posted some
real good reasons for all these odd compiler switches, so that I can
revise my opinion and be happy with KDevelop 1.4 again.

BTW: Has anybody managed to create text translation files (*.pot) with
KDevelop yet? All I get is an empty (zero size) .po file but no .pot.
I just want to make sure that I didn't do anything harmful before posting
a bug report... :-)

Regards,
Juergen

> On Monday 12 March 2001 14:53, you wrote:
>
> Stephen wrote
>
> > It adds -O2 when no --enable-debug is given as -O2 is harmless when you
> > don't
> > want debugging. If you waht to 100% control the CXXFLAGS, add it right
> > to the
> > Makefile.am. ANd there is also NOOPT_CXXFLAGS
> >
> > CXXFLAGS = $(NOOPT_CXXFLAGS)
> >
> > Greetings, Stephan
>
> Yes but if I do that it defeats the purpose of having the compiler options
> and compiler warning screens in the project options screen.  What appears on
> these screens bears no resemble to what appears on the command line.
>
> When I make a distribution, with no optimization I get this :-
>
>  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt-2.2.4/include
>  -I/usr/X11R6/include    -O2 -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -Wall -pedantic -W
>  -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -Wno-long-long
>  -Wnon-virtual-dtor -fno-builtin  -c setthedate.cpp
>
> when I have selected no optimizations.  Where I would have expected to get
>
>  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt-2.2.4/include
>  -I/usr/X11R6/include   -Wall -O0 -c setthedate.cpp
>
> Whats the point of having all the options screens when they don't reflect
> what is actually happening ?.
>
> Its important to have control what the compiler is going to do from within
> the IDE, if we have to go editing Makefile.am etc we might as well not use it.
>
> Rolf said "This setting is from the /admin dir the templates use as well as
> all of  KDE does.".
>
> This seems to imply that its for KDE apps. The app I am writing is a QT app.
> I am sure that lots of people will also be writing apps that aren't KDE apps.
>

> -
> to unsubscribe from this list send an email to kdevelop-request at kdevelop.org with the following body:
> unsubscribe »your-email-address«

J. Süßmaier Systementwicklungen
Jürgen Süßmaier
juergen at suessmaier.de                       Realtime Software Development
Katharina Geisler Str. 14                       Embedded Applications
D-85356 Freising                                     Automation
Germany