Not updating Makefile correct

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat Mar 10 13:04:55 GMT 2001

Marcus Gruendler wrote:

> On Friday 09 March 2001 15:52 you wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > The point is: if you set extra include/library diretories within the
> > > KDevelop dialogs, these settings are specific to your computer/system
> > > only. Now, if you make a distribution and give your project away to
> > > someone else who does not have the includes at the same location as you
> > > have, he could not compile your project at all.
> >
> > Hi Marcus,
> >
> > I have the same problem. If you have subfolders in your project (and this
> > is the usual case) all headers are spread over all folders. Do you really
> > think writing macros is the right way in this case? I don't agree. There
> > should be some way to have at lease project headers included by default.
> >
> > - Werner -
>
> Hi Werner,
>
> Of course you should _not_ write autoconf macros for project internal
> folders. This can be handled in the following way (assume we have a project
> called "foo" which has a subfolder named "bar" as my ascii-"art" shows):
>
> foo
>  `-foo
>     `-bar
>
> Add this line to the file foo/foo/Makefile.am :
>
> # set the include path found by configure
> INCLUDES= $(all_includes) -Ibar
>
> and this line to the file foo/foo/bar/Makefile.am
>
> # set the include path found by configure
> INCLUDES= $(all_includes)
>
> The compiler finds all includes now, both while using KDevelop and compiling
> a source distribution without KDevelop.
>
> Macros are only necessary when using external libraries which do not belong
> to your project, since these locations can not be known in advance - your own
> pathes are known in advance though ;-)
>
> I think the INCLUDES settings should be maintained automatically by KDevelop
> and not by hand of the programmer. Maybe if I have time to make a patch ... :)

I would appreciate that. I caught the flu on thursday somewhat and I'm
angry about myself that I cannot work right.

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org