Not updating Makefile correct

Marcus Gruendler runner at tamalin.de
Fri Mar 9 23:54:07 GMT 2001

On Friday 09 March 2001 15:52 you wrote:
[...]
> > The point is: if you set extra include/library diretories within the
> > KDevelop dialogs, these settings are specific to your computer/system
> > only. Now, if you make a distribution and give your project away to
> > someone else who does not have the includes at the same location as you
> > have, he could not compile your project at all.
>
> Hi Marcus,
>
> I have the same problem. If you have subfolders in your project (and this
> is the usual case) all headers are spread over all folders. Do you really
> think writing macros is the right way in this case? I don't agree. There
> should be some way to have at lease project headers included by default.
>
> - Werner -

Hi Werner,

Of course you should _not_ write autoconf macros for project internal
folders. This can be handled in the following way (assume we have a project
called "foo" which has a subfolder named "bar" as my ascii-"art" shows):

foo

 `-foo

    `-bar

Add this line to the file foo/foo/Makefile.am :

# set the include path found by configure
INCLUDES= $(all_includes) -Ibar

and this line to the file foo/foo/bar/Makefile.am

# set the include path found by configure
INCLUDES= $(all_includes)

The compiler finds all includes now, both while using KDevelop and compiling
a source distribution without KDevelop.

Macros are only necessary when using external libraries which do not belong
to your project, since these locations can not be known in advance - your own
pathes are known in advance though ;-)

I think the INCLUDES settings should be maintained automatically by KDevelop
and not by hand of the programmer. Maybe if I have time to make a patch ... :)

Bye, Marcus

--
Marcus Gruendler
eMail: runner at tamalin.de