again on qt...

Juergen Suessmaier juergen at suessmaier.de
Fri Mar 9 23:17:02 GMT 2001

Giorgi,

this is probably a bit off topic but might prevent you from wasting
time with fixing something that's being phased out anyway.

I almost had the same problems with my RH7 installation but I didn't
research these problems as my intention was to upgrade to the _latest_
stuff. To me it appears that RedHat is in favor of Gnome and the RH
guys just deliver "some sort of" KDE, but it doesn't seem to be
supported very well. If you do not have to support KDE1.x apps I
would recommend to completely upgrade to the latest official releases
of several packages:

- get kernel 2.4.2 from http://www.kernel.org
  The 2.2.16 stuff located on the original RH7 CDs is broken. They
  applied hundreds of patches to the kernel - obviously to make the
  distribution ready for the 2.4 series and to have USB support. The
  latter is a weak backport of the 2.3 drivers and crashed my machine
  very often (average uptime was at most 5-6 hours...). These weird
  crashes disappeared after disabling USB support in 2.2.16 and 2.4.2
  is as stable as usual (no crash since upgrade, boxes running 24h/day).

- get XFree-4.0.2 (RH7 RPMs are available)

- get KDE 2.2.1 (RH7 RPMs are available)

After these "small" system updates start Kdevelop and enjoy.

Especially when you only want to study the Qt toolkit I think it doesn't
make too much sense to go with the old stuff. Qt2 offers a lot more
and improved functionality than Qt1 does and you probably would reinvent
the wheel when looking for solutions for Qt1 while Qt2 might already
have exactly what you want/need (for example thread support which is
provided in a very portable manner by Qt 2.2.4 - no more pipe or socket
orgies!). Going with Qt1 now just doubles the effort. First you have
to learn how it all works and a couble of months later you will have
to port your work to Qt2. So why not using Qt2 from the beginning?

Best regards,
Juergen

> --========_FocalMail3aa951d6dbf48==_
>
> I have just reinstalled my RH Linux 7. When I am trying to create a Qt project, the program (KDevelop) can not find qt-1.45 libs. When I configure it by the option --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt-1.45, the project is created. But if I try to make it, all I have is the error message: error in qt-1.45:
>
> \'qregion.h:73:182 \"defined\" without an identifier.\'
>
> Of course, in Options->KDevelop setup the path to qt-2.x is set correctly.
> Another thing is that there is nothing ready in /opt/KDE-2.x.
> I know where to get the needed kdesupport and kdelibs and how to build them, but perhaps the RH Linux 7 distribution already has them? I tried to find them, but in vein. Is it possible to use the complete KDevelop-1.2 (that is what comes with RH 7) without downloading something? I do not want to update it, because I\'m just studying it.
>
> Thanx.
> Giorgi
J. Süßmaier Systementwicklungen
Jürgen Süßmaier
juergen at suessmaier.de                       Realtime Software Development
Katharina Geisler Str. 14                       Embedded Applications
D-85356 Freising                                     Automation
Germany