The file xxx was modified outside this editor. Save anyway?

Juergen Suessmaier juergen at suessmaier.de
Thu Mar 8 20:14:42 GMT 2001

Folks,

consider using xntpd to sync time on your Unix boxes and these problems
will disappear. xntpd comes with most linux distributions but may not
be installed by default. Look for a package called xntp, ntp or similar.
If you can't find it on your distribution CDs you can try for example
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/ to locate RPMs apropriate for your system.

Regards,
Juergen

> On Thu, 08 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Every time I save my file or compile the project I get the following message:
> >
> > The file xxx was modified outside this editor. Save anyway?
> >
> > But the file is not modifies outside.
> > The project is on a server (nfs). Can this be the Problem?
>
> It can, if your system clock is a bit out of sync. I have the same problem at
> work; the system clock on my local machine is screwed and even though it is
> synched to server every day, it still drops late by 4 seconds every day. 'make'
> starts complaining about files being modified in the future etc. You may
> consider changing your local system clock to couple of seconds later, so that
> all files on NFS seem to be a little older than they really are (of course
> unless the clock change would screw up something important).
> In order to see the difference in clocks try (I just had an e-mail conversation
> with my sysadmin about it yesterday, so I can just copy the example):
>
> $ cat /dev/null > foo && ls -l --full-time foo && date
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 wojdel   wojdel          0 Wed Mar 07 16:40:56 2001 foo
> Wed Mar  7 16:40:55 MET 2001
>
> $
>
> See ? The 'foo' was saved in the future... and so, for KDevelop it seems it was
> touched after it was saved.
>
> Good luck,
> 	Jacek
>
> --

J. Süßmaier Systementwicklungen
Jürgen Süßmaier
juergen at suessmaier.de                       Realtime Software Development
Katharina Geisler Str. 14                       Embedded Applications
D-85356 Freising                                     Automation
Germany