Newbie setup Q for KDevelop

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Wed Mar 7 08:53:30 GMT 2001

Joseph Jones wrote:

> So, I have installed KD1.4 under RH7 and KDE2.1. Now, if I run kdevelop
> -setup as root, it finds all the tools I know are installed (like
> htdiag/htsearch and kdoc) and builds a searchable db for KDE&QT source. If I
> then run KD as root, I can search for info (using right-click and lookup) and
> run Make API-Doc no problems. However, if I exit our of root and then run KD,
> I can no longer run MAKE API-Doc ("can't find KDoc") nor can I do a search
> ("must have glimpse or htsearch installed").
>
> What am I doing wrong in setting this up? I can't belive that in the world of
> *nix I HAVE to run an application as root to get it to work. Therefore,
> something is not right with my setup, but I'll be damned if I know what!?
>
> hmm..ok, it seems I have to chmod 555 the files built in my /var/lib/htdig
> directory to be able to search when not running as root. Still doesn't seem
> right, but I can live with that for right now.
>
> Now, how do I get KDoc working??....
>
> Oooh, wait, even better! If I run it from the terminal, it all seem sto work
> a whole lot better (weird error form KDoc, but hey it runs!). However, if I
> run it form the main menu, I get the above errors consistently (no kdoc, no
> searching).
>
> Oh man....
>
> Can ANYONE offer any info on what might be up?

Maybe startkde changes your PATH and other environment variables ?
make sure with kdoc -v you have the 2.0.a36 version installed, that is
the one to use. For the rest, you should check if kdoc, htsearch etc.
are in your PATH.

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org