Best KDE development tools... help... Borland Kylix?

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Jun 2 09:23:29 BST 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Roland Krause wrote:

> --- Bernd Gehrmann <bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > Furthermore, it has its own compiler and project management. You can
> > not take a Kylix project and just recompile it on Solaris or even on
> > LinuxPPC. This is what I would call a typical lock-in environment.
>
> You are correct about the problem with proprietary compilers although
> "good", "clean" code "should" compile on different compilers.

Hmm, which different compilers? GNU Pascal doesn't support Delphi's
object pascal dialect, Free Pascal doesn't implement the latest changes
and is x86 only. Prospero and Virtual are x86 and Windows/DOS only.

> > OTOH, the price argument is moot. $199 is a lot less than the price
> > for a commercial Qt license.
>
> Are you sure that you will get a commercial Qt license for 199$? Or is
> this a license for the Kylix Qt wrapper and you can only use it from
> Kylix "Turbo Pascal".

You can only use it from Pascal. I think that's a fair offer. You get
an IDE, a class library that will soon be cross-platform and one of the
fastest compilers at all. If all that is sufficiently stable (which is
another topic), then $199 are certainly not expensive.

Bernd.