Qt3 and KDevelop 1.4 question.

Werner Modenbach modenbach at alc.de
Mon Jul 30 08:03:14 BST 2001

On Samstag, 28. Juli 2001 20:23 Ken Brakey wrote \n/ Am Samstag, 28. Juli
2001 20:23 schrieb Ken Brakey:
> Sonic & Knuckles wrote:
> > > No problem with qt3! I'm using it in parallel to qt2.
> > > Here is what I did:
> > > I downloaded the source.
> > > cd /usr/lib
> > > tar xvzf /downloaddir/qt-x11-free-3.0.0-beta1.tgz
> > > ls -s qt-x11-free-3.0.0-beta1 qt3
> > > export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
> > > cd qt3
> > > ./configure --whatever_options
> > > make
> > >
> > > setup kdevelop:
> > > options->Documentation->Qt-Library-Doc : /usr/lib/qt3/doc/html/
> > > options->Path->Qt 2.x directory : /usr/lib/qt3
> > >
> > > That's it.
> > > Your project should compile without problems. If the compiler complains
> >
> > you
> >
> > > might have to add some includes. qt3 doesn't include as many
> > > headerfiles
> >
> > as
> >
> > > qt2, it just declares classes.
> > >

> > > - Werner -
> >
> > Hello Werner,
> >
> > Well I followed you instructions to the letter (well almost) I downloaded
> > the qt-x11-free-beta2.tar.gz (which took all of 2 hours with my very slow
> > connection).  I tried modifying your instructions for the RPM version I
> > had downloaded earlier but that failed miserably.
> >
> > I followed you instructions exactly till I got to this line:
> >
> > "ls -s qt-x11-free-3.0.0.beta2 qt3"
>
> Should be:
> "ln -s /usr/lib/qt-x11-free-3.0.0.beta2 /usr/lib/qt3"
>
> You need a full path -- from the directory you want -- to the
> directory/linkname.
> And "QTDIR" can be set to either one.
> I [being weird] put my "QT's" in "/usr/local" and make links
> to "/usr/lib/qt" for the version I want. YMMV
> Ken

OK. Sorry for the typing mistake :-(
Ofcourse the link can be full path or relative path.

> > Well, after 16+ hours of compilation, over 3 days (I only have a 200 MMX,
> > well I am poor) - much to the angst of the rest of the family members who
> > use Windows - I kept following your instructions.  I wish the
> > instructions had been for the RPM versions.  Much less troublesome and
> > only takes about 1 minute to get the files.

Is there someone out there to build an RPM?
Also on my dual 800 it took quite a while to get ready.

> > I changed the directories to the Documentation and the Qt2.x Directory as
> > you said to do.  Then I created a new KDE Mini project - an almost empty

I was using it on qt-only projects. I can't say how qt3 relates to the
installed kde version.

> > app that I can add to.  I didn't add a single line of code at all.  It
> > compiled fine, but when I went to Make the app, the following error
> > message was produced:
> >
> > gmake  all-recursive
> > gmake[1]: Entering directory `/root/relay'

root ??? ;-))

> > Making all in relay

> > -Wall  -c relay_meta_unload.cpp relay_meta_unload.cpp: In function `void
> > unload_relay (const char **)': relay_meta_unload.cpp:5: `objectDict'
> > undeclared (first use this function)
> > relay_meta_unload.cpp:5: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> > once for each function it appears in.)

Is that kde-stuff?

> > *** failed ***
> >
> > I have no idea what this all means, let alone how to fix it.  So now I
> > ask what do I do next??
> >
> > Can I fix this problem?  How??
> > Is my computer too underpowered to run KDevelop + Qt3?
> > If yes, are there any other IDE's that I could use to make KDE and Qt3
> > applications?

KDE is based on qt and bacause of that IMHO it is not advisable to use
incompatible versions of both in one project.
In my case I follow the rule:
If I do a qt-project I use qt3, if I do a kde project I use the version of qt
kde is based on.
The problem is not a problem of the IDE.

--------------------------------
In my description I forgot to point out that I did an additional link for the
qt-lib:
cd /usr/lib
ln -s qt3/lib/libqt.so.3 libqt.so.3

otherwise the linker complains for a missing qt-lib.

- Werner -

                    ALC Computertechnik GmbH

        \_       \_          \_\_\_     Kaiserstr. 100
       \_\_      \_        \_           D-52134 Herzogenrath
      \_  \_     \_        \_           Germany
     \_\_\_\_    \_        \_           Fon +49 2407 95810
    \_      \_   \_        \_           Fax +49 2407 958139
   Werner Modenbach                     modenbach at alc.de