Xlib extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".

Marcus Gruendler runner at tamalin.de
Sun Jul 15 15:44:40 BST 2001

On Sunday 15 July 2001 15:24, you wrote:
> [Sonic & Knuckles:]
>
> > Hello Marcus,
> >
> > In your last email you told me that the reason I was getting the, 'Xlib
> > extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0". ', message was because I
> > was using XFree 3.x.  I use RedHat 7.1 which I believe uses the
> > XFree86-4.0.3-5.i386.rpm package.  So is something more sinister lurking
> > behind the scenes or have I missed installing some packages?
>
> Then, your XFree-4 is compiled without RENDER extention
> You can check with "xdpyinfo". The problem is now that your qt-package is
> compiled with   "-xft" (antialiased fontrendering) with _needs_ RENDER.
> This is called BadHat packaging;-) Use a better distribution or compile
> from source.

No, it is not RedHat to blame here. I'm using a SuSE distribution and have
the same problem.

Vaughan, are you sure you are using XFree 4.x? My SuSE distribution also
comes with XFree 4.x but my graphic card is not supported by Xfree-4, so
XFree 3.x is beeing used.

Anyway, just ignore these messages as they don't affect performance or
stability of your applications.

And to answer your question regarding KWrite and KDevelop: Gideon will use
KParts throughout the complete application. Thus the editor is a KPart as
well. Currently there is only a KWrite-part but I'm sure there will be other
editor parts coming along in the future.

Have fun, Marcus

--
Marcus Gruendler
eMail: runner at tamalin.de