Xlib extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".

Sonic & Knuckles celtic at ix.net.au
Sun Jul 15 13:54:52 BST 2001

Hello Marcus,

In your last email you told me that the reason I was getting the, 'Xlib
extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0". ', message was because I was
using XFree 3.x.  I use RedHat 7.1 which I believe uses the
XFree86-4.0.3-5.i386.rpm package.  So is something more sinister lurking
behind the scenes or have I missed installing some packages?

> You get this messages because you are using XFree 3.x. When you upgrade to
> the latest XFree 4.x the message disappears and all QT-based application
will
> render their fonts anti aliased. That's all, nothing serious :-)

> Their is a development version of KDevelop called Gideon which will
provide
> this functionality. But it will take some time until a release.

Thankyou you for telling me this, this is very, very good news.  The only
problem with KDevelop is Kwrite.  Do you know if are they going to change
the editor to something more suited to programming?

Thankyou and regards,
Sláinte (Irish for cheers).
Vaughan Egan   ---   celtic at ix.net.au