debugging problems

John Birch jbb at kdevelop.org
Wed Jan 31 03:23:35 GMT 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:36, Roland Krause wrote:
> John,
> thank you very much for your quick and thorough response. I've done
> what you suggested and the problem is, at the moment, solved.

Ah, good stuff. :-)

> Since my older code base was only three days old I believe that the
> problem was indeed the setting of breakpoints in shared libraries.
> Let me thank you again for your help.

I'm a little confused here. Setting of breakpoints in shared libraries should
work. Can you clarify that this does indeed work (email direct, if you like).
If it doesn't, then I'd really like to get it to work for you.

(snip...
stuff that I agree with, except sometimes a clean break with the old can be
more productive. Also notes that we are using as much of the old as we can)

> You are certainly right that it maybe close to impossible to backport
> much of the work from kdevelop2 (since you know much better than
> anybody I believe) but is it then possible to quickly port basic
> functionality from kdevelop1 into kdevelop2? Or does that also require
> rewrites of much of the codebase?

It would be very difficult. We have used some of the code but the differences
are fundamental and some of the features that people want require major
internal changes anyway.

> Is it possible to outline a number of small jobs that can be done by
> people with only very limited time?

For kdevelop1.4 - bug hunting/testing would be a useful task for everyone to
participate in. Clear bug reports are like gold in this business. :-)
Patches of course that fix problems ...

For kdevelop2.0 - hmmm I don't know. Basically pick something that isn't
working, complete or doesn't exist that you feel you would like to help on
and ask on the mailing list.

It's a _free_ open source project - everyone is welcome, and code is the
major coinage to deal in :-)

jbb