debugging problems

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 02:36:16 GMT 2001

John,
thank you very much for your quick and thorough response. I've done
what you suggested and the problem is, at the moment, solved.

Since my older code base was only three days old I believe that the
problem was indeed the setting of breakpoints in shared libraries.
Let me thank you again for your help.

--- John Birch <jbb at kdevelop.org> wrote:

> Actually, I disagree I want 1.x code to finish soon and be replaced
> with the
> 2.0 code (even though I did the port to 1.4!!). But there is only so
> much
> time we can spend on this. It needs others to front up and help out.

Here is the "critical point":

In order to find enough people to help out with this you need to gather
some momentum, which you can only find (imho) if you have a working
application. I do agree one hundred percent that it is ideal to start
basically from scratch  and rewrite the "whole damned thing". This
would lead to the best possible design, the best possible application.

Yet, I am not convinced that a kdevelop2 that is not working at all
will be able to gather enough momentum to get off the ground.

As a longtime obeserver of the free software movement, I come to the
conclusion that those applications that have an "operable" development
branch progress much faster than the ones with "an outline and code
stubs".

You are certainly right that it maybe close to impossible to backport
much of the work from kdevelop2 (since you know much better than
anybody I believe) but is it then possible to quickly port basic
functionality from kdevelop1 into kdevelop2? Or does that also require
rewrites of much of the codebase?

Is it possible to outline a number of small jobs that can be done by
people with only very limited time?

> What you
> are suggesting would be very difficult (read impossible) given what
> the 2.0
> code is trying to do and the state of the 1.x code.

I dont thing that the 1.0 code is in such miserable shape. Yes there
are many limitations but still... I've seen so much worse things...

Thanks, best regards
Roland

=====
Roland Krause