KDevelop grows to use more than 60-70 MB of RAM...

Charles Boivin cboivin at mech.ubc.ca
Tue Feb 13 00:39:08 GMT 2001

Hi everyone!

I have been using KDevelop for a long time now, and I love it. I am now
running version 1.4 that came with KDE 2.1 beta 2. I am running Mandrake 7.2,
and installed from the 2.1beta2 RPMs.

I just noticed today a problem with memory consumption -- it seems that
KDevelop now consistenly grows to use up to 70 MB of RAM after a little use.
This happens when I am debugging my app. I should mention that my app is
outputting A LOT of text to the console (for debugging purposes too), and
that seems to be the problem. Since the whole text output is kept in a
textbox in KDevelop, it seems that this is where the memory consumption comes
from. The problem is that this memory never seems to be released, and that
the app being debugged starts to run VERY slowly when it needs to output text
to the console, after a while.

I checked with kpm while the app was running, and sometimes KDevelop was
using as much as 90% of the CPU resources. This seems very weird, as my app
is pretty CPU intensive. My only guess is, as the amount of text stored in
the "stdout" tab gets large, text insertion there takes a while for KDevelop,
and that causes the slowdown.

I thought I would report this to you guys. Is this a known problem? Do you
think this has to do with my system rather than with KDevelop? Let me know if
you need more info from me, I'd be glad to send you some.

Keep up the good work,

--
Charles Boivin
Ph.D Candidate, Mechanical Engineering