Automatic Xref Tool for C++/QT/KDELibs

Daniel Berlin dan at cgsoftware.com
Thu Dec 13 19:43:51 GMT 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Stephan Hermann wrote:

> On Thursday, 13. December 2001 15:27, you wrote:
> > [...]
> > Please remember, that a lot of people prefer kdevelop over emacs and other
> > editors, because it is graphical and easy to use. Most of them even don't
> > understand autoconf and automake - so don't expect the standard user to
> > recompile gcc.
>
> Footnote:
>
> cppx is a tool, that's very interessting.
> But for a cross reference tool I don't want to patch my compiler (yes, I
> know, it's not difficult).

How do you expect to be able to do cross referencing without the same
level of analysis a compiler does in a language like C++.

> I don't want to analyize my code in deep, I (and I think several others too)
> want to have a look over the source and over the functions, classes and
> (unused) variables (tempvars etc.)

This is deep, at least in C++.

> cppx is a nifty tool for hardcore analyzes, but for a quick overview to (seek
> and destroy unused but declared)
This requires the same type of analysis.
> vars and (unused?! ;)) functions
This requires global call graph analysis.
> it's a
> little bit overloaded.

IMHO, you are having trouble understanding what's really involved in doing
all of this.