More Gideon TODO (+Re: Getting involved HOWTO?)

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat Aug 25 12:22:51 BST 2001

On Saturday, 25. August 2001 11:25, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > I talked with Richard Moore on IRC a week ago or so about that. Cervisia
> > was supposed to go to kdesdk, but Bernd apparently had no time to import
> > it. What are we going to do with that ? I mean, we would add a dependency
> > to kdesdk for *real* development which usually requires CVS (well, kdesdk
> > is usually installed so it doesn't matter that much if that is a
> > requirement for KDevelop or not). Anyway, Bernd how is the status ? I
> > think cervisia should be imported soon so others can participate in the
> > porting to Qt3 when it's time and also test the integration right away as
> > much as possible.
>
> If importing into KDE's repository implies porting it to Qt3, forget it.
> Cervisia's users need a stable cvs frontend, not become testers for alpha
> quality libraries, in particular because the majority of them
> doesn't even use KDE. I've made the mistake of porting too early twice,
> once with Cervisia, once with KDevelop, and I'll certainly not do it
> again.

Ok, then I guess we delay this up until let's say November. Dirk announced
that the move to Qt 3 will be done next friday when (hopefully) the HEAD
branch works already with Qt 3 and beta4 is out. I know many people are
frightened by the move due to the source incompatibility but it is in our own
interest to get HEAD ported soon and stable. Within a dedicated timeframe of
shipping KDE 3 in january next year there is not much time to hassle about
which API to make most incompatible.  I see that KDE has lost a lot of trust
of the developers for whom the move has been painful for KDE 1 to KDE 2. But
this time KDE3 is not a complete rewrite, it is a port to the new Qt API
where the sourcecode has changed and won't introduce too much source
incompatibility from the KDE side whereever possible.

I think in a fortnight we'll see much clearer on how things are.

Ralf
Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org