BUG/wishlist

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Thu Aug 23 11:56:29 BST 2001

On Mittwoch, 22. August 2001 11:57, you wrote:

Hi,

while I agree that the configurability for the default should be improved
here, I still doubt that the output view is a better place for this. This is
because generally expanding the treeview area by moving the panner devider to
the right works for most to see everything they need, plus the output view is
very limited in its vertical space which makes it a lot harder to unfold.
You're not coming around the fact that the debug watch window is a treeview
and having a treeview on the bottom by default is a big general no-no in GUI
design. So adding more customizability in 3.0 but leaving the default should
do the trick IMHO.

Ralf

> The debug (watch) tab in the classview is, IMHO, in the wrong tab control.
> I think it would be much better in the Output view tab control.
>
> My reasoning for this is that it is very annoying to have to constantly
> scroll back and forth to see the variable name and then its value. If these
> were in a long horizontal control (like output view) there's no need to
> scroll.
>
> Now, an argument against this is that you can quickly see many variables if
> you use the classview control. But I personally only want one or a few
> select variables when I'm debugging a specific problem, and I can add those
> in a watch window. It's really of no use to me to be able to see all class
> attributes without scrolling up or down (and let's not forget, those are
> *without* their values because the window is too narrow).
>
> I realize I can yank the watch tab off classview and put it into output
> view. I think that's *great*, except:
>
> 1) Most people don't realize it's possible
> 2) The default location should be the most useable
> 3) The text for the tab doesn't appear if you have "icons only" for the
> Classview (because it's still considered part of the classview control)
> 4) KDevelop doesn't remember it's placement between restarts.
>
> - Bud

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org