Wishlist - better project management

Tamas Nagy nagytam at web.de
Tue Aug 21 18:43:47 BST 2001

I agree that a powerful project management is vital in a successful
developer environment. Recently, I had to build a large number of C
files under Linux, and I'd like to share my experiences with you. I hope
this helps to develop a better IDE!

- CodeWarrior (Commercial): it is not convienient to add files to
projects, and it is not possible (?) for generating multiple libraries
and executables from different subsets of the same code base...
- KDevelop: multiple projects and targets are not supported (?), and it
was strange to generate multiple project files... It required to copy
the files in the project directory, which stops me to use for this
purpose. Reason: some of the files are necessary to include in multiple
libraries and executable... Another disadvantage was the large number
files necessary for a project... It is convenient in general GNU
applications, but not for this purpose....
- RHIDE (not supported, free): it is strange, but this IDE was the best
for my purpose. Its easy project management, and simple handling (single
GPR-file) is definitely what I wanted... Unfortunately, multiple
projects and targets are not allowed, but for single targets it is
superb...
- Makefile (generated by hand): final solution;)

Best regards,
Tamas