Project management #2

Nagy Tamas nagytam at mailbox.hu
Tue Aug 21 19:16:54 BST 2001

Hello,

I highly agree the previous messages on this topic that a powerful
project management is vital in a successful developer environment.
Recently, I had to build a large number of C files under Linux, and I'd
like to share my experiences with you. I hope this helps you to develop
a better IDE!

- CodeWarrior (Commercial): it is not convienient to add files to
projects, and it is not possible (?) for generating multiple libraries
and executables from different subsets of the same code base...
Simple, but unfriendly GUI... Useable...
- KDevelop: superior for several purposes, but multiple projects and
targets are not supported (?), and it was strange to generate multiple
project files... It required to copy the files in the project
directory, which stops me to use for my purpose. Reason: some of the
existing files were necessary to include in multiple libraries and
executable... Another disadvantage was the large number files necessary
for a project... IMHO KDdevelop is convenient in general GNU
applications, but not for this purpose....
- RHIDE (not supported?, free): it is strange, but this IDE seemed the
best for my purpose. Its easy project management, and simple handling
(single GPR-file) is definitely what I wanted... Unfortunately,
multiple projects and targets are not allowed, but for single targets
the project management is superb...
- Makefile (generated by hand): final solution;)

Best regards and comments are welcome,
Tamas