Wishlist - better project management

Dan Johnston goblue at ve3d.com
Tue Aug 21 05:53:03 BST 2001

I am not a member of this list, so please send any replies directly to me.

I have generally been disappointed with every unix IDE I've ever used.  As a
VC++ (I know, boo boo, hiss hiss) developer, nothing in the Unix realm has
come as close to feeling natural to use as kdevelop has (great job guys).  I
do have one request, however.  One of the things that VC++ does exponentially
better than KDevelop does is project management.

One of the best things about visual studio is the fact that you never have to
edit a Makefile.  Allmost all compiler options are set via the project
settings dialog.  It supports differentiation between projects (a single
compile target like a library or application) and a workspace (a collection
of projects).  It supports the ability to specify different compiler and
linker options based on what type of build you are doing (debug, release,
profile, custom, etc.).  Since probably >99% of all users of KDevelop use GNU
compilers, something like this should at least be an option, at least for
common settings.   In fact, I don't see why the entire project framework that
Microsoft uses couldn't be used whole-turkey after being retargeted for GNU
compilers and decent scripting languages (for Post or Custom build steps).
You could even make the translation between common dialog settings and actual
compiler options be a component that could be implemented for different
compilers.

This doesn't preclude using the current form of project management, just be
added as an option.  Anyway, that is my pie in the sky request.  My more
immediate request, should be a simple one.  Why, oh why, for the LOVE OF GOD,
do you require that new custom projects be created in a new directory and
that importing existing files into the project causes them to be copied into
this new directory.  The whole reason for using a custom project is that you
want to use KDevelop to edit an EXISTING project with already configured
Makefiles, source control, etc.  Requiring that these files be moved to a new
directory is ludicrous.  I've gotton around this by doing the file import,
deleting the copied files, and then hacking the project file to refer to the
origingal file set.  To be honest, the only reason to really import the files
is to make the class browser work, but it would be nice if this would just
work without having to go over major 50meter high hurdles.

All in all, I like KDevelop, it's still a relatively young product and I'm
sure it will get better with age.  However, if you want to attract more
commercial interest development on unix (maybe you don't ?), the tools should
be as easy to use (if not more so) than what Microsoft is selling.  And
maybe, just maybe, not every wizard should be targeted towards a source
distribution.

Opposing viewpoints welcome :)

-dan
goblue at ve3d.com