Crash when during build

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Aug 19 23:09:48 BST 2001

On Saturday, 18. August 2001 20:23, you wrote:
> Ralf
>
>   What will be different in Kdevelop 3 that is not in 2.0? Is this a major
> design change?
Yes. The difference is two-way:
-technical
-usability

The technical point is the most interesting and is currently solved to a
certain amount. If you check out the kdevelop version from CVS HEAD and have
a look around, you will see what it already offers: things such as plugins
everywhere, multiple languages other than C and C++ (currently Perl, Java and
PHP, Python I think), scriptability, code completion (initials), editor
components to use other editors, automake and t(q)make based project
management directly in the makefiles.  The usability is not yet there and it
should offer more similarity to 2.0 as it currently has, but that will be
done this fall, so a quite usable version should be expected with the first
beta of KDE 3 which comes a bit closer to the 2.0 level. 3.0 is a complete
rewrite from scratch that we needed to undertake to get away from the
shortcomings of the 1.x and 2.0 versions which is still code based on the
first days stuff when we were young and when we were needing money as much as
we still need today LOL :)

Seriously, for most of us, KDevelop was the first real project we started to
work on, and it tought us professionalism over time. This expertise is making
its way now into 3.0 and we would be glad for any hand that's willing to help
with writing a plugin or extend existing plugins. A test version will be
released shortly (after KOffice 1.1 I think).

Ralf

> Thanks

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org