Working fast with KDevelop?

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Fri Aug 3 10:40:15 BST 2001

"F at lk Brettschneider" wrote:
> > And am costantly frustrated by a general lack of consistant key shortcuts in Linux.
> KDE tries to set a standard which is almost similar to Win32 (e.g.
> Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+F, Ctrl+G, Ctrl+A, ....)

That's nice.

> > > I wonder whether it is possible to work fast, ie. without a mouse, with
> > > KDevelop. So far I was unable to find shortcuts for the following
> > > frequently used functions:
> > > 1. Switching between windows (ctrl-x-b in EMACS, ctrl-tab in MSVC++).
> ALT+Tab between toplevel windows, ALT+PgUp or ALT+PgDown for attached
> views in KDevelop

I tryed out ALT-PgUp and ALT-PgDown in KDevelop but nothing happened;
what are attached views? BTW, the reason why I'm still using EMACS
(KDevelop
only for viewing documentation) is that there really seems to be no way
to switch windows by pressing keys.

> > > 2. Switching to a certain window (ctrl-x-b + the first letters of the
> > >    file name + tab + enter in EMACS).
> > > 3. Splitting the screen (ctrl-x 2 or ctrl-x 3 in EMACS).
> > > 4. Incremental search (ctrl-s in EMACS, ctrl-i in MSVC++).
> Ctrl+F in a file, F2 for global search in the project

Ctrl-F is not the same as incremental search. Incremental search is a
real cool feature in EMACS and MS Visual C++; it enables you to find a
word by pressing the least number of keys possible and in addition it
appears in the status bar so that no window obscures the screen.

> > > 5. Autoindent (tab in EMACS).
> Options->Editor->AutoIndent

It's by far not as powerful as in EMACS. When one presses tab in a line
in EMACS with eg. C-Mode enabled it gets automatically indented
correctly no matter where the cursor is (go try it out).

> > > 6. Scrolling up and down without moving the cursor (ctrl-up or ctrl-down
> Works in KDevelop as well.

It doesn't for me; ctrl-up or ctrl-down mark text. How do I change that
behavior?

> You can reconfigure the shortkeys to your favourite bindings in
> Options->KDevelopSetup->Keys

That doesn't seem to offer much choice.

> > > or do I have to wait for a new version of
> > > KDevelop
> at least it works in 2.0

All the features I'm missing?

> > > if I don't want to waste my time grabbing the mouse?
> mouse is easier to learn (3 buttons vs. 104 buttons of the keyboard ;)

Of course, and that's why I would like to see an alternative to EMACS
which has a very steep learning curve and in addition doesn't have a
nice debugger included. However, while a mouse is good for beginners
advanced users will almost exclusively use the keyboard shortcuts that
they find in the menus. Ken is completely correct when he says that most
LINUX GUIs suck in that aspect.

Felix