KDE/KDevelop under Solaris

Thamm, Russell russell.thamm at dsto.defence.gov.au
Mon Apr 30 08:06:14 BST 2001

Roland,

I had all these variables set correctly except KDEDIR and INFOPATH.
I set KDEDIR. As far as I can tell INFOPATH is irrelevant, but I set
it to /usr/local/info

This made ABSOLUTELY NO difference.

However, I rebuilt KDE/KDevelop as root and that seemed to fix
 "Unknown child process xxxx died" errors, but KDevelop still
displays the same problems.

1) Tooltips generally show as a black box. However, if I run KDevelop
   remotely (telnet session), tooltips always seem to work properly.

2) Still get the same errors creating a project.

3) The internal debugger WILL NOT run. It appears to come up but if I
   select run, step etc from the debug menu, nothing happens. I keep getting
   the following error (I'm not sure its relevant):

   "Konsole_grantpty: cannot determine the name of device.
    Kdevelop: chownpty failed for device /dev/ptyp0::/dev/ttyp0
      : This means the session can be eavesdropped.
      : Make sure konsole-grantpty is installed and setuid root."

    Since konsole_grantpty is installed (in /opt/kde/bin) and setuid root, I
find
    this message maddening.

    If I try to start the internal debugger a second time in a session, I
get the
    following error:

    "kio (kioslave): slavewrapper: Communication with app lost.
     Returning to slave pool."

I installed kdbg. Fortunatley this seems to run OK, so I have a workaround.

thanks
Russell Thamm