KDE/KDevelop under Solaris

Thamm, Russell russell.thamm at dsto.defence.gov.au
Mon Apr 30 06:55:26 BST 2001

Walid,

Firstly, I can't get KDE itself to run. KDevelop runs but is very buggy.
So my advice is probably worthless.

I was surprised at how few problem I had building KDE/Kdevelop under
Solaris.

I am using gcc/g++ 2.95.2

I downloaded the Qt distribution from TrollTech. I had a problem compiling
anything that included the Xt header files. I modified the generated
Makefiles
and added the compiler option "-fpermissive" to get around this problem. I
specified
the platform solaris-g++ for configure. The other problem that I had with Qt
was the fact that the installation program gave the world no access to many
library and executable files.

After installing Qt, I installed kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase. These all
built
and installed without major problems although "make check" failed for the
last
two packages.

./configure --prefix=/opt/kde
gmake
gmake install

I kept getting lex errors when trying to build kdevelop. Eventually I
installed
flex and that solved the problem.

I had to update my version of perl to v 5.6. I also built and installed
kdoc.

I installed Qt non-locally, but I don't think you should have problems
installing
it locally. Just build it in your own directory and set QTDIR, path,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and MANPATH accordingly.

Russell Thamm