Menu Hell !

Eric Sorensen esorensen at arcormail.de
Fri Apr 13 03:37:12 BST 2001

> for example, if you want to add "view" menu with "zoomIn, zoomOut" actions
> on menubar

> add belows in *App class
> ----------------------------
>  void slotZoomIn();
>  void slotZoomOut();
>
>   KAction *zoomIn;
>   KAction *zoomOut;
>   KActionMenu *viewMenu;

DONE !

> -----------------------------
>
> and initiate them before createGUI() in initView() in the .cpp

createGUI is at the bottom of *App::initActions(), but I inserted the
code above it.

> --------------------------------
>  zoomIn = new KAction( i18n( "Zoom in 10%" ), "viewmag+", 0, this, SLOT(slotZoomIn() ), actionCollection(), 0 );

>  zoomOut = new KAction( i18n(> "Zoom out 10%" ), "viewmag-", 0, this, SLOT(slotZoomOut() ), actionCollection(), 0 );
>
>   viewMenu = new KActionMenu(i18n("&View"), actionCollection(),
> "view_menu");
 viewMenu->insert(zoomIn);
>   viewMenu->insert(zoomOut);

This is also done.  and it compiles quite nicely and does
absolutely nothing (that I can see)

What do you say that I should do with my XML file.  I use QDesigner (Qt 2.3.0)
and KDevelop 1.4
> ---------------------------------------
> and edit "*ui.rc" XML gui file
>
> -*ui.rc--------------------------------------
>

>      <----------- add it
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> then compile it, it may help you
at least the project compiles again.

My project was initially created with the new project wizzard (KDE 2 Normal - Project).
The problem may be that I don't see where the 'Top' menubar is defined.  I suspect that I
never get around to adding menu entries to THAT menubar.  The default KDE 2
project inserts a dozen or so 'KStdAction' in *App::initActions() but never defines the
MenuBar itself.  Obviously I don't know where to look or what to do.  I get the feeling that I
missed someting here :-)

Any further advice for me?  Thank you for you efforts.

Eric Sorensen - an American lost some where in Germany