KDevelop on FreeBSD - building FreeBSD ports

Will Andrews andrews at technologist.com
Mon May 8 13:37:31 BST 2000

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 08:17:34AM +0200, Sandy Meier wrote:
> KDevelop 1.2 "should" be compileable under FreeBSD without problems.
> (same with version 1.1).With the KDK  there are sometimes problems, because
> it a really big package with many applications we didn't maintain. But I have
> good news. :-) Please wait until tommorow, Andreas Richter ported the KDK 1.2
> to FreeBSD and AFAIK he will upload it today.

Part of the problem is that FreeBSD 3.x uses the older (obsolete) GCC
2.7.2.3, where GCC 2.95.2 is required (maybe egcs 1.1.2 will work) to build
kdevelop. The libraries also have to be built by the same compiler.
However, this problem does not exist on 4.0 and later, because the main
system compiler was upgraded to 2.95.2. In any case, there are other minor
nits that can be fixed in kdevelop's source code; although I have not
checked to see if it was fixed in kdevelop 1.2.

As for KDK, I haven't looked at it yet; perhaps someone could point me at a
URL which indicates what the KDK is composed of, and I can add it to
FreeBSD's ports collection so that a package can be generated for it. If
Andreas Richter created a ``port'' of KDK in the sense that the ports
collection (http://www.freebsd.org/ports/) calls ``ports'', then I'll add
that to the tree instead.

Regards,

--