What has happened to configure of CVS version?

Daniel Karlsson daniel.k at bigfoot.com
Fri Jan 28 17:32:10 GMT 2000

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Robert Williams wrote:
> Daniel Karlsson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Joachim Ansorg wrote:
> > > configure: error: configure could not run a little KDE program to test the environment.
> >
> > I've had this one too; try upgrading your libstdc++.
> >
> > /Daniel Karlsson
>
> This does not happen for any other kde module.  kdenetwork or kdebase for example.  What does
> kdevelope need from a new libstdc++?   Since I have not seen this for any other app, I am
> curious about this.
>
> Or is the check looking for KDE 1.1?  And is having KDE 2.0 in the paths  the culprit?

The test in configure tries to compile a program (conftest) which prints
out various KDE paths like:

printf("kde_htmldir=\"%s\"\n", KApplication::kde_htmldir().data());

and then tries "eval `./conftest`". The error message is because e.g.
"test -z $kde_htmldir" fails. So the "little KDE program" didn't
compile, link, and/or run.

I tried to compile the conftest program "by hand" and got loads of STL
errors. I figured it must be a buggy STL implementation, but perhaps it
was just a corrupted installation. Anyway, I installed a new version
and the problem went away (knock on wood).

(Actually, the full story about me and the configure script is a lot
longer and a _lot_ stranger, but I distilled out the relevant parts to
save bandwidth)

--
Daniel Karlsson <daniel.k at bigfoot.com>