Java support within KDevelop

Jon Webber jwebber at dircon.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 22:49:52 GMT 2000

I have recently set up Linux and KDE on my system, and am totally
impressed by it all...   I'm a developer who has had no choice but to
use Windows tools, as they do provide the quickest development path.
That is until now.  I've downloaded KDevelop and have started getting to

grips with it.  It's what UNIX has been missing...!!  Brilliant.
I have now very nearly in a position where I can move away from Windows
completely..  but there's just one major thing missing...  Java
support.  I know there are loads of 100% pure Java IDE's out there, but
they're all too slow...  and will be for some time to come.  Does
anybody have any ideas about integrating Java support into KDevelop..
The classview, documentation, editor etc. is already there (or would
require small changes).  I reckon all it needs is a JVM settings module,

debug support and a new dialog creator...?  I'm quite willing to write
some code if any others feel it would be worthwhile?  It seems like a
sensible idea to provide Java and C++ in one environment..?

One other thing that would be great within KDevelop is a way of creating

shared libs.. working along similar lines to a workspace in Visual C++
or something.  Where you can add any number of different projects into
one workspace?  This might already exist in KDevelop, I haven't really
had time to look that much...

Anyway, any comments would be appreciated..

Jon