giflib30 ??

Bjoern Krombholz bjkro at gmx.de
Fri Jan 21 23:16:03 GMT 2000

"Leonardo B. Lopes" wrote:

> The question is: _should_ i install giflib30? I currently have a link
> (redhat5.2) from libgif3.0.0 to libungif3.0.0, and non of the other
> programs I have built (including a bunch of KDE programs, gimp,
> etc...) complain about it. Looking at the web pages for libgif and
> libungif, it seems appropriate that that link should be there.
> Furthermore, since I probably have programs built against libungif3.0.0,
> overwriting the link with the real libgif3.0.0 is likely to cause some
> programs to crash. Is there something wrong with my logic?
>
> Thanks,
> Leo.

"The 4.x series should remain API compatible with giflib-3.0, but is no
longer binary compatible. Your programs should continue to compile without
changes, but must be compiled against the new library in order to run
correctly. Additionally, if your program uses gif extensions, I would
highly recommend you look at the deprecations and additions made in the
Extension structures."
( http://prtr-13.ucsc.edu/~badger/software/libungif/index.shtml )

So in my opinion - it would be the best, keeping libungif and creating
(ALL!!) the links:
(libgif.so.3.0.0)
libgif.so.3.0
libgif.so.3
libgif.so

But actually I canĀ“t see thw reason why configure checks for giflib in
general, because there is no binary linked against this lib (in my
opinion - you may correct me)?!

Bjoern

--
Sign the Linux Driver Petition at http://www.libranet.com/petition.html