Trouble compiling KDE / Qt apps

Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes ai98ghk at stud.hib.no
Wed Jan 19 15:56:33 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've installed KDevelop, but have trouble compiling with it. That is,
standard c/c++ programs are fine, but Qt/KDE programs don't work that
well...

Here's the error messages from the project generator:
  configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your
    installation and add the correct paths!
  /opt/kde/bin/ksgml2html: sgml2html: command not found

The first one is probably the source of my trouble. However, I haven't
found anything that explains what needs to be fixed / installed - all
documentation seems to assume a correct installation.

If I later try to compile the main.cpp file, I get this error message:
  In file included from main.cpp:17:
  kdeveloptest.h:20: kapp.h: No such file or directory
  kdeveloptest.h:21: qwidget.h: No such file or directory
The message appears both when compiling from within KDevelop or directly
from the command line, using "g++ main.cpp".

The KDE and Qt include files are in the directories /opt/kde/include and
/usr/lib/qt/include respectively. But g++ cannot find them.

If I try to do a make (from KDevelop), I get the message:
  make: *** No targets.  Stop.
  *** failed ***

The KDevelop setup program looks for installed programs. These are the
ones it doesn't find:
  sgml2html
  Glimpse
  Glimpseindex
To my (somewhat limited) knowledge, these are optional programs and
shouldn't affect the problem described above.

To summarise, I believe this is a problem with my particular
installation. Everything is installed from SuSE RPMs, and I can't find
any obvious packages I've missed. The problem seems to be related to
include files - KDevelop / g++ doesn't know where to find them.

Note: Specifying the include directories with the command line option -I
makes g++ find the include files, but causes a lot of other error
messages. The program is the simple, unmodified output of KDevelop's
project generator, and should compile without errors, right?

Regards,
 Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes