Versions

Maniac Maniac at alltel.net
Wed Jan 19 14:12:41 GMT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> The latest KDevelop has a hyphen in its version. RPM doesn't like hyphens
> there and I had to fix it. That's no problem, but for the future it would
> be nice if the versions are simpler and shorter, for example:
> number.even.number for releases and number.uneven.number for beta
> versions, comparable to the version scheme of linux kernels.
>
> In addition, this scheme ensures that releases are newer than beta
> versions. For RPM, this is not the case at the moment, so people have to
> give RPM an additional parameter when installing the new package.
>

> Tschuess
>    Matthias

I have no problems with "hyphens" OR "underscores" all have been installed with
either with rpm -Uvh or -ivh
here is a sample of my RPM DB

rpm -qa | grep "_"

ncurses-5.0_990516-1mdk
linux_logo-3.0-5mdk
getty_ps-2.0.7j-8mdk
mandrake_desk-0.3-3mdk
mandrake_doc-0.1-7mdk
mod_perl-1.19-4mdk
ncurses-devel-5.0_990516-1mdk
space_sounds-1.1-1mdk
tcp_wrappers-7.6-8mdk
tin-1.4_990216-4mdk
ncurses-5.0_990703-4mdk
kdevelop-1.1_beta1.0-1

As you can probably figure out I have a mandrake system maybe you have something
else or a different version of RPM.

Maniac at alltel.net
A single tasking guy in a multitasking world