What will happen with the both 1.x and 2.x trees in the future when KDE 2.0 final is released?

Sandy Meier smeier at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Jan 4 09:39:35 GMT 2000

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 you wrote:
> Hello
>
> It seems to me like the both KDevelop sourcetrees, 1.x and 2.x has different features, some
> things are different, some features are in one of the trees and not in the other. There are now
> only a matter of months before KDE 2.0 is released, and my guess is that most people will
> start to use this 2.0 release instead of 1.x since most dists which include KDE, will use the
> KDE 2.0 version since that's the newest one.

I hope that it will be possible to run KDE1 applications under the KDE2 desktop
(with KDE1 libs installed). There are hundreds of KDE1 applications, which
aren't compatible with KDE2.

> It's possible that I've missunderstood how the development is done. Are the both sourcetrees
> maganed in paralell so that new features are added to both threes at the same time?
> And / or can new features in the 1.x tree easilly be copied into the 2.0 tree?

As John already wrote we will port most of the 1.x tree features to the 2.0
branch. At the moment the 2.0 tree is a big "road works" and it will not be
useable in the next months. In this branch we (will) test some new technologies
for KDevelop 2: MDI,Plugins, generic configuration,DCOP,new dialogeditor,new
projectmanagment and so on.

Ciao!
Sandy

--
Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature file to help me
spread!