SUGGESTION: Change project file format to XML

Martin Piskernig martin.piskernig at stuwo.at
Mon Feb 28 16:06:56 GMT 2000

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using KDevelop for a couple of months now, working on a text
> editor and a few other minor projects. And occasionally I've had to add
> files or change the project definition somehow. And on one or two of those
> occasions, somehow I've managed muck up the project file ;)
>
> Having mucked it up, I have tried to fix it by manually editing the .kdevprj
> file with a text editor to try fix the problem. However, the format of the
> project file is very confusing and messy. This probably partially due to it
> being a generated format but I still believe that it could greatly benefit
> from being converted to an XML format. There are Open Source C/C++ XML
> processing libraries available (which I've seen on freshmeat) so I don't
> think it would be terribly difficult.

I have done much investigation about XML usage for KDevelop and have in
fact already created a working DTD (Document Type Definition). But we want
to redesign the project management a lot, so this has to wait till after the big
KDevelop2 changes.
Additionally there is no need for an extern parser as DOM is in the kdelibs2
already (QDom) and is heavily used throughout the whole KDE project (KParts
ect.)
--
Martin Piskernig
<mpiskernig at kdevelop.de>       ICQ: 24015591