AGAIN : internal debugger

jbb jbb at ihug.co.nz
Thu Feb 10 08:26:13 GMT 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have enabled 'create Debug infos' and 'Debuglevel 3' in the Project
> dialog. Therefore, debugging symbols should be included.
> Debugging in Kdevelop looks a bit different than M$ VC++. Maybe you can tell
> how you would debug a console app (steps) and I can check what I did wrong.

No, looks like you are doing everything right. So, firstly, what system are you
running?

Next check that gdb works properly with the file you want to debug.
ie  in a console
gdb filename
break main
run

what version of gdb? gdb --version (This most probably is okay but...)

Did you compile kdevelop? If so, if you add the compile switch -DGDB_MONITOR
you will get the "debugger" output tab and can see the dialogue between kdevelop
and the debugger. This would be very helpful to me in tracking this problem
down.

There is a known problem with debugging console apps that unfortunetly won't get
fixed in this release. The problem is if you have a console input (ie cin or
fgets or ...) then there is nowhere to enter that data. :(. For this you need
to select the external debugger and kdbg is a good one.

But the breakpoints should be enabled and putting a breakpoint on the first
line of main should break at that point regardless of the above. Since the
breakpoint didn't turn red, then either there are no debugging symbols (already
elimated the easy one first :-), or gdb didn't respond, or other...

It might be best to contact me directly now rather than a long dialogue on this
list. Hopefully we can get this sorted quickly.

--
Regards,

jbb
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jbb