new kdevelop-1.1beta1 & 2

jbb jbb at ihug.co.nz
Tue Feb 1 02:32:35 GMT 2000

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> Hi,  ( I hope this message is not in HTML ...)
> sorry for my english.
>
> I just compiled & installed kdevelop-1.1beta2  ( ./configure
> --prefix=/usr etc...) on my Mandrake 7.0 system.
> everythings went fine especially the <integrated kdbg> compilation which
> I want to point.
>
> I 've started kdevelop and jumped to the new project app wizard.
> ...compiled ok.
>
> Then, I wanted to make my hands on the new integrated debugger.
> ERR... It seems that there is no debugger at all, even if the icons and
> debugger menu showed up
> telling me that the debuger is running. There was no "debuger swallow
> window," no variables browser etc...

In the tree view do you have the tabs "CV", "LFV","RFV","DOC","VAR"?
"VAR" is the debugger variables.

There is no debugger swallow window. Console output is done to the output tab.

What happens when you put a breakpoint on the first line in main() and then
click the debug toolbar button?

Without the debugger running, when you set the breakpoints you should get a blue
circular breakpoint symbol. This indicates the breakpoint is pending. Then
when you start debugging your app, they should turn red. If you disable them,
they'll be grey.

The status bar will tell you what's happening with the debugger. When your
program stops at a breakpoint or segfaults (eek) then the status bar reflects
this in the middle (the new section, one letter wide). This will contain
"A" = active
"P" = paused
"E" = ended

Also check the options menu, debugger section, for other options.

Unfortunately, console apps using cin, fgets etc from stdin won't work yet. Use
an external debugger (see Options/Debugger) for that.

> I tried "run to cursor", put a breakpoint then retry... nothing happens
> I've started kdevelop from the command line but I haven't seen nothing
> about errors.
> This situation occured to me with the previous beta 1-1. For now , the
> only useful new feature for
> me is that I can see the bookmarks beside the edit window.. -:(

??
The edit window border can contain bookmarks or breakpoints
Right mouse click in the border to see options there.

> Did I miss something?? because I really don't know were to look for this
> problem since I see no traces of errors
> like I said above.

I've not run this on Mandrake 7.0, but I can't see that being a problem. You
never know though ...

--
Regards,

jbb