gripe, not a bug...

John Birch jbb at kdevelop.org
Thu Dec 14 08:44:53 GMT 2000

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:10, root wrote:
> Hi, guys!
>
> OK, I just installed 1.2 and am trying to evaluate it on one of my old
> projects. The problem: If I use "Add existing files", it copies them to
> a single directory. There are over 1000 files in a directory structure
> sometimes 9-deep.
>   So, I just copied the direcories over, then proceeded to add files one
> by one. Here comes the gripe1:
>
> Why can I only select a single file at a time? Wouldn't it make sense to
> use the M-key to allow me to add to the selection and then apply the
> same action to the whole list?

Hmm - I just click on the files I want within a particular dir which keeps
selecting them - maybe this is a kde1 setting you need to tweak, if it
doesn't work for you like this. I don't know.

I assume that this project is being developed without kdevelop? Why not use
kdevelop1.3 and try out the Project/Generate Project File. This will make up
a kdevelop project on the existing directory. Takes 10seconds or so and its
done...

> Gripe 2, and this is a UI issue, big one:
>
> Why is it that after I "Add file to the project", the whole file-tree
> closes? As I said, a lot of the files require more than seven clicks to
> get to them. And I mean a lot. WHat's wrong with keeping the tree
> expanded? This way I could just add the files one by one, with one
> (well, two, including the confirmation dialog) click. As it is I am
> spending my time clicking away quite a few times for each file.

You are right - it's not the best - there's a similar problem when adding
subdirs. It regenerate the Makefile.am's for the whole project for each
subdir you add. A pain when you have lots to add. Still it usually works :-)
I have no solution for that except to re-write it a wee bit, but not in
kdevelop1.x. I think Sandy's a long way though getting this sort of thing
done in kdevelop2.0

jbb