configure error: system fails at linking small kde app

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Tue Dec 12 15:38:59 GMT 2000

_Usul John Obscurant wrote:

> hi,
>
> i was using kdk-1.2 under suse linux 6.2 i386 (kde 1.1.1, qt 1.44) and it
> worked great!
> but now i upgraded to suse 6.4 (kde 1.1.2, qt 1.45) recently. i cannot
> recompile kdk-1.2 anymore - configure exits with the message:
>
> --
> checking for KDE libraries installed... configure: error: your system
> fails at linking a small KDE application!
> Check, if your compiler is installed correctly and if you have used the same
> compiler to compile Qt and kdelibs as you did use now
> --
>
> after that i recompiled qt 1.45 and kdelibs 1.1.2 from the sources (rpms
> included in suse 6.4) without problems, but kdk-configure does not work ...
> any suggestions?
>
> thanks
>         _usul
Hi _usul,

I´m sorry to say that, but it seems you did all the work for nothing ;)

I guess the error is that you´re using KDE 2 and this sets environment
variables different.

Either:

export KDEDIR=/opt/kde
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt

Or:

./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt --prefix=/opt/kde

should help, that´s all ;)
You could have written about that earlier, that would have saved you
some time ;)

Greetings,

Ralf
--
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org