Support for custom projects

John Birch jbb at kdevelop.org
Mon Dec 4 17:17:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:47, Alexander Kuit wrote:
> > > Our system is quite complex and historically grown. We don't use
> > > automa=
>
> ke
>
> > > and I'm not in a possition to change this. Anyway, my approach should
> > > work without any assumption about the makefile structure, or am I
> > > wrong? My goal, and I suppose many others would agree with me, is to
> > > use kdevelop without assuming *anything*  about the existing stuff.
> >
> > Well, then leave out the condition of an existing Makefile.am in the
> > directory hierarchy. Just edit the kimport script and you=B4re done ;)
> >
> > Ralf
>
> I just had a closer look at kdevelop 1.3beta1. I didn't know about
> kimport.= =20
> Looks like someone had the idea before me :-)=20
> Nevertheless, with kimport I have the same problem. Either I need=20
> Makefile.am's, or I need to edit kimport. I was thinking about a general=20
> solution and thought that my little script came pretty close. Is there=20
> something I don't see? I don't know automake. Why does the generation of=20
> project files need those Makefile.am's?

You are right. The reason it's like this is that I work with automake
projects. That makes it more difficult to see what everyone really needs
sometimes :(

I shall remove the check so the script works on a subdir only.

> Also I don't quite understand why the project wizard works the way it does
> =
>
> for custom projects. Is anyone using this way for his projects? (hard to=20
> believe). Wouldn't it be better to integrate the "Generate Project File"
> in= to=20
> the wizard, give it a nice gui where one is able to enter a project
> name,=20 select if automake is used or not, etc?

Not in kdevelop1.3.
An idea for kdevelop2 though, (which is probably already there :-)

jbb