qt libraires: fixed. g++ broken

Luis De la Parra Blum luke at inferno.saturno.mx
Wed Apr 19 18:47:15 BST 2000

ok, I've been trying to get kdevelop to work, but I just can't.
I did what some of you said on the list (thanks) and got something, but it
still doest work. here's  the story..

$ldconfig -v|grep
gave some errors of non-existing directories that were in ld.so.conf (that's
how suse shipped, I hadn't touched anything there), and I got this:
libqt.so.1=> libqt.so.1.33
I tought that was the problem cuz kdevelop asks for qt 1.4, so
I added '/usr/lib/qt/lib' to /etc/ld.so.conf, and moved libqt.so.1 and .1.33 out
of /usr/i486-linux-lib5/lib so that they were not added and then, as root ran
#ldconfig
and now got
libqt.so.1 => libqt.so.1.44
then I started kdevelop and created a new project and got the same problem:
Looking for QT>1.4 failed
so I did Build->configure->'--whith-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt'->OK
and then it started configuring the project again, here is a part of
what configure says...
checking for Qt... libraries /usr/bin/qt/lib, headers /usr/lib/qt/include
checking if Qt compiles without flags... no
checking for moc /usr/lib/qt/bin/moc
checking for a C++-Compiler...
checking for g++... g++
checking whether the C++ compiler (g++ -O0 -g3 -Wall) works... no
configure:error:installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot
create executables
*** failed***

I try also removing config.cache from RFV, running Build->distclean (error: no
targets) and Build->autoconf+automake (success)

The funny thing is that then I did
$cat > test.cpp
#include <iostream.h>
int main()
{
cout<<"the compiler works!";
return 0;
} ^D
$g++ test.cpp
and here I got a bunch of warnings of files included from iostream like..
[...] warning: invalid type 'void *' for default argument to [...]
and then the error...
/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open crtbegin.o: no such file or directory

so it seems like g++ is actually NOT working, and it has nothing to do with
kdevelop.
I just installed everything from the suse 6.3 cd, so, does that mean that suse
is shipping a broken package?, did I not installed everything that I needed???
I had no problems with packages deps, and I have installed almost all from the
development section..
I did the same test (printf instead of cout) with gcc, and had no problems.

any ideas?  should I try downloading gcc, making it, deinstalling the
compiler packages, and doing 'make_install'???  (I would rather not to, cuz at
the moment I dont have access to a good internet conection)

thanks to all, and hope someone can help me with that...

luis.

pd. if you can include my email in the reply, it'd be great (i'm not in the
list)
<lparrab at yahoo.com>