Kdevelop crash

W. Tasin tasin at e-technik.fh-muenchen.de
Tue Apr 11 12:44:09 BST 2000

Simon Derr wrote:

> >> =
> >
> >>         Hi, I'm developping a project using Kdevelop and in it's
> >current
> >> state Kdevelop crashes when I run my program with the F9 key.
> >> Kdevelop coredumps and its last words are :
> >> EXEC:./trykplotQGList::locate: Index 1 out of range
> >> ASSERT: "s" in widgets/qmultilinedit.cpp (1853)
>
> >> (trykplot is the name of my project)
> >
> >> I have the latest Kdevelop snapshot, but this occured also with my
> >> previous version that was one month old.
> >
> >> When running in a xterm, the ouput of my program is (do not count
> >****)=
> >:
> >> *****************************************
> >> =
> >
> >> Caught unexpected Exception at top level : Standard library call
> >> failed(tcgetattr: Ioctl() inappropr=E9 pour un p=E9riph=E9rique)
> >> Giving up.
> >> ******************************************
> >
> >> oops, pine has cut the second line, in fact there are only three
> >lines,=
> >
> >> the first is empty, the second is Caught... until ) and the last
> >"Givin=g
> >> up."
> >
> >> If I comment out parts of my code to remove the second line (the long
> >> one), Kdevelop no longer crashes.
> >
> >         Simon.
> >
> >Hi Simon,
> >
> >I don't think that it would be a problem of KDevelop, but of your code
> >or of your system installation.
> >
> >Did you change something of the basic standard libs on your system?
>
> No. I have a raw SUSE 6.3... as far as standard libs are concerned.
>

> >Maybe a reinstallation of the "proper" standard c/c++ libs would help,
> >but
> >I personally think it's (also) a problem of your code, because as you
> >already said:
> >"If I comment out...." ... and you are doing something grave which also
> >kills the parent processes (maybe calling a inaproppriate terminal
> >routine?).
>
> Well, the code I did "comment out" was only ONE line beginning with
> "cerr << "Caught...""
>
> I still think my program is not responsible for the crash. My program
> doesn't do nasty things or anything that could kill Kdevelop. The ioctl
> that fails is done... on /dev/null (to be sure it will fail :)). And if a
> add a few debug messages, Kdevelop no longer crashes.
>
> But... I'm using XFree 4.0. Maybe Qt or anybody in the KDE family has
> problems with it ?
>
> Anyway if it happens to be a Kdevelop bug it is a rare and not too serious
> bug.

I still not thinking that it would be a KDevelop bug.
(it's more like... "Help I cannot use stderr!!")

More likely a version conflict between the base libraries... QT/X11...

To prove it, you should do the building from the konsole and run the
program from the console.

cd <projectDir>
rm config.cache
make -f Makefile.dist
configure [with your options]
make

and then run the newly created application.

If it would fail also in the konsole my assumption is approved.

But then I cannot help you, because I'm not using XFree 4.0... maybe
there is someone else out there who knows more about the problem.

Another thought...
beside a bug inside XFree, maybe there is some major changement in the
new X11??
Maybe it could be useful to recompile QT (but I donĀ“t really believe on
that)?

>         Simon.
>
> (please CC me in replies)

Ciao

Walter

--
oohhh sveglia.... il mondo e' ammalato, ma x colpa di chi.........
(Zucchero)