Wish: adding links as project files

holle at almaden.ibm.com holle at almaden.ibm.com
Fri Sep 24 20:38:54 BST 1999

You are approaching the problem the wrong way.
Under Unix you generally *not* share files between two projects and I am *very
strongly* against adding such a feature.
Here is what you normally do:
Assuming the functions foo(), bar() and baz() are "shared" by two or more
projects of yours.
You would extract these three functions and the necessary support code from your
projects (yes from all) and make these functions become a shared and/or static
library which you would link to your projects.

Here is the recepie:
- extract functions from projects and write into an own project into new files,
*.cc as well as *.h
- compile the files
- generate on static, using "ar", and one shared, using "libtool", library with
a easy to recognise and meaningful name
- install this library under either ~/lib and the headerfiles in ~/include or
put the stuff in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include
- add this library to your project

Now you are set to share code between your projects. No need to add a weird
(sorry) (mis-)feature from Redmont to our otherwise clean kdevelop. And it is
jmuch cleaner: if you made a shared library the programs linked against it can
access the new functionality without being recompiled ...

- holger

Falk Brettschneider <gigafalk at geocities.com> on 24/09/99 01:53:01

Please respond to kdevelop at barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de