KConfig

Ansley, Michael Michael.Ansley at intec.co.za
Tue Sep 14 08:19:08 BST 1999

You are going to have to store them with the document, because if you ever
reopen a document, then you need to know what the standard of measurement
was when you created the document.  However, if you are storing the
information in a database (PostgreSQL springs to mind ;-) then you just dump
the current values (not the data readings) into a config file, because they
will also be stored with each set of values put into the database.  You see,
it all depends on state.  The state information (including the measurement
standards) have to be stored.  The fact that you remember them in the
application for the next reading is purely incidental as far as the
application is concerned, a convenience for the user.  However, if you go
back to a previous reading, or load a set of readings into another
application (such as a spreadsheet) you have to know what the measurement
parameters were, so you have to have this information stored with (or linked
to, in the case of a database) the primary data.

This is getting out of hand.  Are you with me so far...

MikeA