installing kdevelop!

Neville Pereira nfpereira at home.com
Sat Sep 4 04:10:17 BST 1999

I had the same problems with the kdevelop rpm's and with the help of Troy Engel (who created the RH RPM's) eventually got things working. I then wrote the attached brute force script that quickly sets everything up correctly. The procedure I now use is as follows:

1) If you have already tried installing kdevelop (as you have) first find the hidden .kde directory in your home and
look for and delete the kdeveloprc file that contains incorrect setup info and delete it so that when you re-start kdevelop
will take you through the setup process it does at startup.

2) Create a kdevelop directory under /root and copy all installation files there including the following:

glimpse-4.1-bin-linux-2.0.30-i486.tar.gz
kdbg-1.0beta1-1.i386.rpm
kdelibs-1.1.1.tar.gz
sgmltools-2.0.2.base.tar
kdevelop-1.0beta1-1.redhat.i386.rpm
kdevelop-c_c++_ref-0.1-1.i386.rpm
manual.ps
tutorial.ps
bzip2
bzip.html
kdesdk-19990811.tar
kdoc-1.17-1.i386.rpm
setup

3) Start a terminal window (if you are in X), change to the /root/kdevelop directory and run setup from the bash prompt using:

./setup

This should set things up correctly. If the script breaks on your system, the commands should give you enough of an
idea on how to complete the setup process by hand. I had one system that I had to do this for to complete the C++ documentation at the end.

4) Start kdevelop and point at the /root/kdevelop/kdelibs directory when prompted for the location of the library files and /root/.kde/...etc for the documentation files.

I gather that the problem on RH systems is that the kde variable points to the /usr directory but Troy's rpms default to installing it into /opt/kde.

Neville Pereira
nfpereira at home.com

<A personal note to the kdevelop team>

I'd like to acknowledge that I believe what you are doing is of tremendous strategic importance to the future of Linux as a viable mainstream computing platform since it promises to put commercial class integrated development tools into the hands of a lot of gifted developers. I see whole teams of these developers soon using kdevelop on the next generation of Linux applications. Please keep up the hard work - it is appreciated.