Problems compiling latest kdelibs CVS snaps

Roland Knall roland.knall at gmx.net
Sat Oct 23 00:30:22 BST 1999

How a smart thing can grow big. Thanks for everybody helping me. I just have on
more statement, and a simple question.

First, the question: How do you start the KDE snapshot? If you modify startkde,
tell me how. Especially, which programm takes control instead of kfm, and how.
I know it should be konqueror, but I do not know how.

Secon the statement: IMHO it makes sense, that KDEpre2 uses a QT snapshot. A
stable version is getting older and older. Of course a programm, should use s
solid ground to count on, but KDEpre2 is preAlpha stage! Therefore it makes
sense to me, trying to catch on the latest improvements of the widget library.
In other words, it would be stupid (again IMHO) to use the latest stable
version (currently 2.0.2) of QT, 'cause when KDE2final will be released QT's
version will be much higher than now, which could result in the same
irretations QT-1.44 and QT-2.0.2 are creating. Especially KDevelop user should
know the problems which exists, only because of an older QT version needed for
all existing stable KDE programms, and a newer one, with brand new features,
but partly incompatibility to QT-1.44 source.

That's all for now
CU Roland